Beth Billstrom is the founder of More Than Oregano, an on-line photo gallery and garden blog dedicated to inspiring small space gardeners to live their garden dreams. More Than Oregano shares color-popping, textural photos alongside stories, tips and general garden experiences. Inspiring folks is a grand way to work and live, although like anything, it has its bumps and bruises along the way. Beth often feels compelled to share both sides of the story, the good and the challenging, but always with the focus on motivating gardeners to keep growing. She’s gardened for over 25 years, but has the passion and enthusiasm of a first-time gardener ~ and considers it her greatest gift.
Beth is highly engaged in expressing creative stories through photography. She shoots a Canon 5d Mark III with a variety of Canon L, Sigma Art, and Lensbaby lenses. Beth enjoys working with individual and business clients to help them create the perfect image for their home, office, website or publication. She’s thrilled her work is now also available for purchase through the More Than Oregano on-line gallery.
Beth holds a BS degree in Communications, is a trained Master Gardener, and a seasoned public garden tour guide. She is a member of The Association for Garden Communicators (GWA), the Minnesota Landscape Arboretum, the Herb Society of America, and the Carver County Arts Consortium. She recently completed herb coursework through the Herbal Academy. She’s also a National Garden Bureau PlantNerd Alumni (Veggie Trials 2015), Garden Blogger Fling attender, an invited Pinterest Pinner for Fiskars Garden Blogger’s We Love board, and a member of the Garden Foxes. Beth’s work with keyhole gardening is featured in Raised Bed Revolution by Tara Nolan. She also contributes guest material for websites including Gardening Know How and Wayfair. She’s been the featured guest on the Still Growing and Creative Living with Bren podcasts and the featured host on the popular Twitter #Gardenchat event held every Monday evening.
In addition to tending More Than Oregano, Beth also:
- Enjoys appearing on social media venues to discuss best practices for photographing gardens, the benefits of gardening small, growing and using herbs, creating unique containers, and the challenges/successes of growing vertically.
- Explores new small space gardening techniques in her urban garden and those she visits.
- Experiments growing a variety of herbs, vegetables and flowers from seed, using both indoor germination and direct sow methods.
- Provides guided garden walks.
- Teaches vertical gardening.
- Conducts culinary herb workshops.
Prior to starting More Than Oregano, Beth worked as the Marketing Director for the Education/Health Care Divisions of The ServiceMaster Company (Headquarters). She also enjoyed the life of a freelance corporate writer. Her clients included General Mills, Grainger, The ServiceMaster Company and a variety of software solution and legal counsel firms.
Enough of the formal, here’s a bit about me. …
- I’m married to a wonderful Swedish-Dutch man, Mark. We used to be polar opposites but not anymore…that’s what 26+ years of marriage will do for you.
- We have three wonderful sons and a dog named Fred. We travel where they travel and beyond.
- I’m a city/suburbs girl now living in a smallish town. You know the story….you can take the girl out of the city, but not the city out of the girl. I still get my share of concerts, museums and connection…. It’s a good life.
- I’d love to live somewhere tropical, but cold-weather living is good for my skin and keeps me vibrant.
- There’s a season for everything and I’m blessed to be in the season of living my dream. Art, especially that which comes from the heart, can change the world. I give all the glory to God and am blessed to serve others through sharing photos and stories about His amazing creation.
I hope you’ll read my blog and visit the gallery to find out more.
Living the Dream,